Having good developed education plan gives more confidence in teaching.
Things to keep in mind
- Avoid praise-and-rewards method. The goal is to develop intrinsic motivation to learn computer science. Using praise-and-reward method is using for manipulation and has very bad long-term consequences.
- Average attention for children in age 6-8 is about 18 minutes.
- Children have different skills, have different interests, and learn at different speed.
- Teacher must be aware of Curse of knowledge bias and explain each new thing in plain terms (Feynman technique).
The first lesson
Kids like to have hands-on activities, so the first lesson must contain as minimum lectures as possible. Draft structure:
- Part 1: Students connect the parts of computer. I explain what is computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse.
- Part 2: Students switch on the computer.
- Part 3. Students open Scratch. I explain briefly what is what.
- Part 4. Students paint a new sprite.
There are plenty of things to do.